Friday, September 12, 2008

Afterthoughts: The Moon is a Harsh Mistress


Perhaps this review will be as biased as the last. The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein is one of my favorite novels ever. I had read other Heinlein prior to reading this novel, but I was in no way prepared for how this would take my breath away.

I won't go over the details of the plot, but from beginning to end this book took me in and didn't let me go. It has everything you'd want in a great novel-technology, war, revolution, space travel, and a giant catapult. The characters are all very compelling and the lunar landscape Heinlein weaves throughout is just stunning. A lot of Sci-Fi of the era wasn't very scientifically accurate, but it seems that Heinlein did do a lot of research on the topography and the effects of gravity on the Moon.

Heinlein also manages to blend a great amount of action with a particularly moving storyline. I really deeply cared about the Loonies' struggle for independence, security and protection of their home. The political subtexts are also quite interesting as it's rare that you get an opportunity to see what happens after a revolution.

The language might be the only thing that would turn anyone away from this work in my opinion. It's not written in modern English syntax but rather an English dialect all it's own with some words (like "the") missing.

All in all it is a wonderfully written, very unique piece of fiction. Even if you aren't a Sci-Fi lover like me I am sure you can find lots of things to appreciate about what is widely held as Heinlein's best work. I give this novel a 9 out of 10.

(Image from Wikipedia.)

No comments: